Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reflections on "Coach Huff's" First Year

   Admittedly, receiving the assignment of reading a 2nd years' entire blog didn't incite any excitement or happy thoughts. My initial thought was, "this is absolutely ridiculous!" I really did not want to take the time to read someone's entire blog that covered a year of MTC experiences. Nevertheless, I was thankful for the assignment because I had a chance to gain perspective through the insightful and thoughtful reflections of "Coach Huff." 

   I chose to read Schuyler's blog because we are very similar in many ways. First of all, we played football in the same conference in college; we were actually rivals. Moreover, we are both in Byhalia, and will be coaching football. We have also had a few candid conversations about the realities of teaching, coaching, and everything else that entails being a part of MTC. I even found out, through reading his blog, that we are the same personality type. We are both ISTJ, which is quite interesting because we immediately related to each other. 
  I was pleasantly surprised to find that Schuyler didn't have a blog full of whining, complaining, and crying. It was refreshing to read about his experiences without all of the melodrama and "woe is me" that seems to plague some of the other 2nd year blogs. He spoke, very openly, of failures and successes, neither one seeming to be more important than the other. From that, I gathered that he kept himself very centered amidst all of the chaos and stress. I really hope to have that same kind of reaction for myself one year from now. 
  Being an athlete, and coach, Schuyler's reflections on his position as a coach were most compelling to me. Coaching immediately endears you to the students and the community. They see you in a different light, a more positive light, that makes them feel more comfortable with you. Now, with that coaching position, it is imperative to understand the amount of responsibility that comes with that. Schuyler said it best when he came to the realization that for some of the kids he serves as a father, brother, cousin, and friend. The impressive aspect of that realization was that it came well after football season when one of his players needed him more than ever one day in his science class. I already know that I am going to be seen as the "mean teacher. " That is something that I'll actually relish. Nevertheless, I know that I must find a way to build a rapport with the kids where a tremendous amount of respect, and trust, are ever-present in our interactions.
   So, reading Schuyler's reflections from a year in MTC were eye-opening, encouraging, and entertaining. I'm hoping to have him as my mentor for the year, as this will be a great way to continue learning as much as I can from him.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. DK - I enjoyed your blogs. Thank you for your sincere reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just from the time I've had to get to know you, I laughed at how apt your comment on relishing being the "mean teacher" was, but I digress...I think we can take a lot away from the teachers who are coaches or have coached. Not that we can't take a lot away from any 2nd year (or above) teacher, but the coaches have that extra experience with the kids and community. In my mind, their words hold a little more weight since they've spent that much more time with the kids AND in a much different environment. I know you're a hard worker and take your work seriously, hence I believe you'll make a great coach. Good luck with the mentor you receive and good luck this upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete