Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"My Sons..."

I have a few favorites this year...yeah, really. But my two most favorite students are Jordan and Devante. They refer to themselves as my "sons" and affectionately call me "dad." It's crazy. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but that's what they've been calling me since late July. I'd only been at Coldwater for about three weeks by then. They're both sophomores, play football and baseball, and they're honor students. So, I guess it made it a lot easier for me to actually return the pleasantry and refer to them as "my sons." I have them both 5th period, and they both sit in the front row. They're very intelligent, I mean can compete anywhere intelligent, not just smarter than what's around them. They compete with each other for the highest "A" (in every class). That's what endeared them to me the most. They're two of just a few who've adopted my philosophy of "anything less than an A is a failure." Really, they live by this, and it has worked out for them.

Jordan wears #3, which I wore in college. After he found that out, he started calling himself "junior." He's the quarterback, and Devante wears #8. He's a wide receiver, the position I played in college. They stay in my back pocket, and I know that I'm making a great impact on them. We have very candid talks, and they're always in my car when we have to go somewhere. One of the things I'm most proud of is the fact that they willingly tutor other students, always have their shirts tucked in (finally), and exhibit total decication--academically and athletically. 

Interestingly enough, Jordan and Devante have started a craze among my students. All of them are competing to be the next kid I "adopt." It's kind of crazy, but flattering. I think the other students saw how they both excelled in English 2 and football. It was nothing magical, just work ethic and dedication. I guess they're hoping I will adopt them if they dress, think, and act like Devante and Jordan. Either way, it's an interesting management tool that I proudly use. 

It's funny because other teachers have noticed that they call me "dad." It keeps things light and it helps the day go by a little easier. They have matured, and so have the rest of my students. I know it's a product of the way my classroom runs. They're used to the consistency and it has influenced them outside of that hour they're in my class everyday. Kids like Devante and Jordan make me love my job even more. I know that I'm going to have at least two students who are happy to see me. They trust me, and it means a lot to have their trust. I talk about these boys all the time, and I'm excited to see what else this school year is going to bring.

Those are my two favorites...Jordan and Devante...My Sons

No comments:

Post a Comment