Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Day In The Life

Ok, so here's a day in the life of Coach King.....

I wake up at 5:30 a.m. Then, I lie there for a while and contemplate how much more time I could actually spend in the bed. After I debate with myself, I quickly realize that I've wasted that time with that internal conflict. Once I'm out of bed, I begin to get ready. I never have to iron or anything because that's my number one priority at night. Some people read, meditate, do yoga, or something else--I like to just sit and look at my closet for therapeutic time. Ok, back from the tangent.....Once I get ready I grab some tea, yogurt, a pop tart or banana nut bread. It helps me get started in the mornings. I try to get to school between 6:30-6:45. That way, I can still have some alone time in my classroom before I have to go to morning duty. I get my best thinking done in my classroom. I have morning duty in the main hallway, so I'm the guy who gets to remind the kids that they are back at school by checking uniforms and making them walk on the blue lines. They don't particularly like seeing me welcome them this way at 7:10 in the morning.
Homeroom starts at 7:30. We have silent sustained reading, so I spend that time working with the librarian on Accelerated Reader matters. 1st period starts at 8am and the day really gets started. I like that class, they work hard and I'm glad I can start the day with them. My 2nd period class is my honors class. They are actually one of my least favorite at times, but we get a lot of challenging work done. We have break/recess after 2nd period, and that's just a time for the kids to hang out and be themselves. 3rd period is the longest because it's the lunch period. The worst part about 3rd period is the fact that we go to LUNCH at 10:55am. Yes, that's too early for lunch...4th period seems like its the fastest period of the day. It literally zips by. Our kids go to activity period during 5th period. That's my planning period, where much planning doesn't get done. There's always a grade-level meeting, parent meeting, or a class to cover. When I actually have time to plan, I am trying to get things set in place for Track because I'm the head coach. 6th period finally rolls around at 2pm. It goes by rather slowly. Once 6th period is over, I have to hold a bus load group until 3:15. I'm finally done with duty at 3:30. So, I've now been at school for nine hours already. Then I stay until 4:30 or 5 doing work, grading, planning, or meeting. My day would extend until almost 7pm during football season. It's a long day, but I love the job. The only thing I'd rather be doing than teaching during that time is playing football...haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment