Popular Posts

Friday, July 2, 2010

DK On Video...

Well, I must say that, first of all, I look good on camera! No, really, I do. You can't go wrong with a purple bow-tie and cuff-links, right?
Unlike most of my classmates, I wasn't dreading watching myself on camera. I've felt confident and prepared since Day 1, so worry and nervousness never had a chance to settle in. I think I may try to video myself at least bi-weekly during the school year just to keep a constant evaluation log of myself. 
So, I actually had a chance to see my first 1 1/2 lessons on camera. Part of my very first lesson was taped at the end of someone else's video. That first lesson that was videoed halfway through was on "text structures." I taught about cause and effect, problem and solution, and comparison and contrast. My set was exciting and it really got the kids involved. Anytime you use Kobe and Lebron and talk about the NBA finals, you are sure to get a reaction from the kids. My first lesson, at least from what was videoed, was great. Hearing the stories of some first lessons failing miserably, I decided that I had to start off with a bang; I had to put myself in a position to start with confidence.
My first full video happened that next monday. I was now teaching a literature unit and going over plot structures. The lesson in particular was about "rising action." Not the most exciting lesson, but I think I managed. I thought I had energy, but the footage showed me that I really needed to work on being more energetic, and creating that feeling throughout the classroom with every kid. The lesson was very straight-forward and they seemed to grasp the concept. It was just very dry and lecture-like. I was happy with my classroom management, though. I was quick and consistent with consequences and the kids were attentive and very participatory. 
My biggest problem with the two lessons wasn't classroom management, movement around the classroom, or content knowledge. I was struggling with coming up with appropriate assessments that helped me accomplish the objectives I set. My formal and informal assessments left a lot to be desired, but I wasn't discouraged or worried because I knew that would come with time. My lessons have gotten considerably better in the past 4 weeks and I cannot wait for the opportunity to view my July video and compare and contrast my growth as a teacher.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment