Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's Over, It's Over, But It's Far From Over.....

I know way too many people here right now that I didn't know in May, who the heck are y'all? I swear it feels like the past couple months we been everywhere and back but, I'm gonna remember it all. What am I doin'? What am I doin'? Oh yeah, that's right, I'm doin' MTC, I'm doin' MTC. Livin' the teacher life right now man, and this is what I'm gonna do til it's over, til it's over.....but it's far from over!!!


That's how I feel about this MTC whirlwind experience. For the last two months, we have met and interacted with so many new people. In addition to that, we have been inundated with information, anecdotes, admonitions, warnings, and advice. That's why I feel like I've been everywhere and back. I'm not overwhelmed, but I definitely feel like I have signed on for a beast that I have no clue how to effectively defeat. 
Living this "teacher life" is pretty interesting. The fact that every meaningful conversation now includes me going off on some tangent about teaching is a sign that I am now a teacher. The jokes are about teaching, the horror stories are about teaching- everything is now related to teaching. It already at the point where other random events are somehow paralleled to teaching. I was watching a movie the other day and found myself comparing my classroom management to how a mayor ran his city. What? Really? I had to go do some push-ups to remind myself that there is more to DK than teaching.

Anyway, the major questions about summer training: What was helpful? What wasn't helpful? What questions do I still have? How do I feel?

What was helpful?
There were plenty of helpful things from the summer training. The most impactful thing from the beginning of the summer was the Deficit Model workshop with Buck. It was very important, and I think it made some of my classmates, who aren't aware of their own biases, more cognizant of deficit thinking and how it plagues kids in the schools like the ones we will be teaching at. 
The obvious thing was Summer School! Summer School was extremely eventful and helpful. I never found myself stressed during summer school. I was a bit frustrated a few times from some evaluations, but never stressed. I loved having a full classroom where I could really enforce rules and be a disciplinarian. I also enjoyed step club, although it was probably more frustrating than the actual classroom. Nevertheless, I learned a lot about myself, and I know that I made an impact on at least a few kids. 
Dr. Monroe's class was awesome. She is so excited about education. Her excitement was more than necessary because we had to go after we got back from summer school. She is very understanding and very encouraging. Her class was great.

What wasn't helpful?
ROLE PLAYS.....Although I understand the assumed practical relevance, the structure just wasn't helpful for me. Most of the scenarios seemed too unrealistic. I know that I don't have any classroom experience, but some of the role plays I went through were utterly ridiculous and most unhelpful.

What questions do I still have?
Well, I don't think I really have any questions left for those who have had a hand in my training this summer. My questions lie within myself. I am not doubting myself at all, but I have questions about how I will do things and how I will organize my life well enough to make sure that I can operate at an optimal level so that I can maximize the potential of my students in the classroom and on the field. Everything that lies ahead rests on me figuring myself out and getting myself together. 

How do I feel now?
I feel great. I am very confident in myself. I know that I will have some growing pains, but I think I am very prepared for this new challenge. It also helps that I will be in a very supportive environment with lots of MTC people around. I am ready to get to Byhalia Middle School and do great things. I am excited about coaching, and about teaching. It's going to be a whirlwind experience, but I feel confident that I will do more than survive.....I will thrive!!!






Read and post comments | Send to a friend

6 comments:

  1. DK you are a stud. Teacher of the Week material. I agree that some changes need to be made for role plays because it seemed as though most of the classrooms were too unrealistic. Maybe the idea of students continually needing to sharpen their pencil or use the restroom was boring after day 1 or they simply wanted to make us feel awkward but it moved unrealistic quickly. Glad to hear everything else was beneficial...I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DK, your optimism impresses me. I agree with much of what you say and I'll echo Bill regarding role plays. Some of those situations were outlandish and seemed only to exist to set us up for failure. You said you never found summer school stressful. Props DK. You are a greater man than I. Maybe I'll remind myself of your level headedness and strength come September when I'm curled up shaking in a corner...haha scratch the second part. Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that you'll thrive..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree a lot with the things you had to say. I love the intro using the song. Your so smart DK. I echo a lot about what you said in role plays. Some of the situations were just so extreme that I most likely will never put myself in those situations. Plus they were just not how our kids acted in Summer School. Also I feel like the whole goal of them is to really set us up for failure and that is stressful. I agree with your feelings about being thankful that you have a big group going with us to your school. I have 4 other teacher corp teacher and tons of people in the delta so that is creating a positive feeling. Hope that you lighten up and smile maybe when you just see kids not only when you are punishing them. :)LUV JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with a lot of things you said as well, especially the "what was helpful" section. I would say that I thought role plays were still somewhat helpful. I think that there was a lot of ridiculousness that occurred, but I'd rather have some idea of how even one of these ridiculous scenarios would play out than be completely bewildered when it actually happens. I've already been shocked by some of the things I've seen and heard in summer school, which was basically school-lite, so I appreciated the role plays in that sense. But I agree that they could've been better structured and we could have focused on more realistic circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DK I feel similarly, teaching has consumed me. Though I realize it is an important part of my life and in fact my identity now, it is not the only thing that defines me. In this upcoming year I hope I am able to find a healthy balance between all "teaching" related things and all other "Ameerah" related things. I doubt I'll be doing any pushups but perhaps we can help remind one another that we are more than teachers.

    ReplyDelete