Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hanging Out With College Teammates

One of the things I miss most from college is my 3 best friends that I played football with. We were known as the "Smashbrothers," and we practically did everything together. It was good for us to all be back in town for a Rhodes game. We hung out at the game, did a little partying, and chilled like we used to back in college. It was great to be at Rhodes homecoming with all of our old teammates. We all had the energy and enthusiasm as if we were going on the field to play ourselves. We also went bowling and to play pool. We laughed an joked--acting crazier than ever. Two of us are in graduate school, and the other two are still playing football. We were all sharing stories about how things are going with our lives and how we've all taken different paths since college.
More than anything, it was just good to feel like a college kid again. Although I'm not far removed from college, being a teacher quickly makes me feel old sometimes. I tend to forget that I was just in college 6 months ago! Nevertheless, we had a blast. And just like old times, the highlight of the weekend was just gaming out on the Xbox 360 and PS3. We played Madden and NCAA like we were freshman in Glassell Hall, haha. We would still argue, almost fight, and laugh over every play. This was a great way to get my mind off of teaching sound devices, tier groups, responses to interventions, or make-up work. This was probably the longest I'd gone without talking about teaching since the first of June. Not that I don't enjoy my job, but it was definitely therapeutic to not think about it and just chill with my boys. It was well needed. But before this, I always made sure to take at least one day a week and devote it to myself. I'm not inundated with grading or planning. I'm well-rested and excited about the new challenges my 7th graders will present me with. All of that said, I can't wait until we can all get back to Memphis and do it again though. We have to catch up on some gaming, partying, etc.....

No comments:

Post a Comment