Popular Posts

Monday, October 18, 2010

Reflections on Chapter 4 (Assessments of Literacy and Content Knowledge)


It is interesting to think about assessment as it relates to literacy growth and content learning. Since I teach reading, literacy and content learning seem to be very much intertwined. Although learning the objectives and competencies spelled out in the framework aren’t all related to literacy, literacy must be attained before we can think about mastering those things. It is so hard to really get into DOK 2 and 3 work because of the unbelievable amount of illiteracy. I want to have assessments that are centered around DOK 2 and 3-because that’s what they are most heavily tested on-but I still have to take time to work on letter sounds and phonetic blends. I feel like I’m assessing the students on their level, but still not benefiting them like I should because it doesn’t challenge them. Nevertheless, if I don’t include a good amount of those assessments all of the students would fail. So, this is the quandary I’ve found myself in after the first 9 weeks of school.

It almost seems that the heavy focus on the MCT2 has taken too much emphasis off of scholastic achievement and the grades the students make in their academic classes. I’m not going to say that they don’t matter, but I feel like a school year would be considered successful if a student scored “Advanced” on the MCT2 and made all “F’s” on their report cards. It has definitely affected student, teacher, and administration mindset when it comes to this issue.

My favorite part of chapter 4 was the discussion of Informal, Authentic Assessments of Students. I love when I have a great lesson with a good amount of guided practice, with about 15-20 minutes left for individual practice. Although the kids are turning the work in for a grade, I can walk around and give additional help. It really supports one of the critical characteristics discussed on page 96. “2. They are so closely related to instruction that assessment and instruction become virtually indistinguishable.” Essentially, I am teaching and explaining for the duration of the period, but I can go around and rephrase things based on certain students’ needs and clarify anything that is still cloudy or confusing. I think that I’m slowly getting better at interpreting data in an explicit and reflective manner-as admonished by the writers of the textbook. I can only get better at the diagnostic teaching through experience. Nevertheless, I am learning to read students (i.e. facial expressions, body language, unusual habits).

This goes right along with the observational assessment discussed on page 99. Figure 4.3 made me think about how many times I’ve seen these behaviors in my classroom already. I now see that they are avoidance techniques. Regretfully, I’ve not watched closely enough to address these behaviors and intervene. That will be my goal for the next 9 weeks. I want to be more observant; that keen observation will allow me to make the proper adjustments through informal assessments. This will ultimately help me put the students in a better position to excel on the formal assessments…..that will be on DOK 2 and 3 level, of course.

5 comments:

  1. I especially agree. My school focuses on nothing but the test. Advanced is the word all around campus. So much that any learning has to be tied to a state-test guided question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, all I can say is, "Spot on young man, spot on." I agree with everything you said. I love it when i give my students an assignment, i give some guided practice, and they are able to do it on their own. I am really trying to get my kids to be independent and look beyond whats in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try non stop to get my kids to think further, push harder, and dig deeper. I get extremely frustrated because the key is wanting to do better. The large majority have no desire to do better, go further, and accomplish more than those before them.

    My school tells me not to focus on the test and to make sure that I'm doing all this extra stuff, but then they only bring me materials that have to do with the state test. Books that break down the test and books that only look at state tested questions. For my mid term and final the district makes my test and it is only in state tested format. How do they know what I have truly covered and taught. This is just weird to me when assessments are so important.

    Good observations DK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DK - I agree with your view on the heavy focus on MCT2 focus. As a math teacher our content areas are much different but I'm almost sure that your strategies are the same as mine for teaching to the test. We are told to teach our kids to look for key words and basically just solve MCT2 problems. Have you observed during the first nine weeks whether you've been able to teach to the test while reaching DOK levels 3 and 4?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's such a common, maybe even cliche, but oh-so valid grievance among teachers about state tests taking priority over other types of academic achievement. To be honest, DK, the types of things you are focusing on in this blog (i.e., small details like reading students expressions in order to tweak your instruction mid-lesson) really tell me that you are on top of things. Not to seem patronizing, but this is something for which I am striving and hopefully I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete