Popular Posts

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Delta Autumn: Warnings, Advice, and Admonitions

   Delta Autumn is a very interesting book because it provides a background that has helped shape my thinking about the total situation that I am about to get into. I initially balked at reading the book because I thought to myself, "I'm not teaching in the Delta!" I immediately saw the relevance once I started reading; we are all being placed in high-needs areas, which means that these problems plague all of the schools we are placed in. Although I had an idea of how challenging this experience could be before I came to Mississippi, I have gained a lot of perspective about what lies ahead. Delta Autumn will be a tool I use to try to prepare myself as much as possible, but I know that ultimate perspective and appreciation of this task will not come until I have first hand experience and total immersion in the academic and cultural community of Byhalia. Delta Autumn is a great supplement to all of the material I have read about teaching in Mississippi.

   The entire book is full of useful information and little nuggets of wisdom. Nevertheless, I was most interested in the chapter about teaching secondary English. Since I will be teaching English at Byhalia Middle School next year, this chapter piqued my interest the most. I had an opportunity to teach 10th grade English last summer at the Memphis Grizzlies Academy, and I thought that I had experienced the worst reading and grammar in America. Once I taught my first lesson in the Holly Springs summer school I realized that the reading and grammar skills of these Mississippi students were far worse. The operative word used in Delta Autumn is "abysmal." I was shocked and appalled at the lack of basic mechanics and the absolute misuse of some of the simplest functions of the English language. I was immediately oriented to how difficult it will be to teach English in this area. 
   The book gives warnings the types of errors that I will normally see when it comes to writing and composition. The students basically reproduce what they've seen and heard all of their lives. That said, it will be absolutely important that I acknowledge that and focus on setting small goals to work on one problem at a time. I must say that I think it will be extremely hard for me not to want to correct all aspects of their assignments. But, I understand that I will be introducing so much new material to them. Moreover, if I take the time to structure assignments where they understand exactly what I am looking for, then I can systematically, over time, cover as many aspects of the English language as possible. 
   The best advice from the teaching secondary English chapter was about varying the dominant voice in the classroom. "Be willing not to be the teacher once in a while." I know this will come once a certain atmosphere has been established and classroom management is under control, but I think this will be important for me. I like to run the show and really control all aspects of the classroom. I think that implementing this skill will be important in my development as a teacher and a person. The less I stress about control, the more I can focus on some of the finer components of teaching like creativity and differentiated instruction. Furthermore, I think that alternative teaching tools  will be very important while teaching English because the tasks of reading and writing will not seem so overwhelming. Change of pace and varied mediums will keep the students engaged and give them a sense of ownership and responsibility in the classroom.
   Delta Autumn is a great guide for first year teachers because it lends insight to the realities of teaching in Mississippi. It warns against trying to save the world or fix every problem with one lesson. It gives advice about how to keep yourself sane, how to inspire confidence in your students, and how to create a culture of success in your classroom. It also admonishes first year teachers not to take this responsibility lightly, or discount even the small victories. I am so excited about what is going to happen in my classroom for the rest of the summer and next school year. Delta Autumn will continue to be a book of reference and solace for me.....


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. ya i totally agreed with you that delta autumn is an awesome book.. it helps in clearing your thoughts .. good work Derek, i was seeking for some dissertation help i found your blog thanks a lot..

    ReplyDelete